09 August 2009
East Timor Legal News 4 August 2009
Reinado and Horta held closed meetings: Trial Witness Timor Post 4 August 2009 President Jose Ramos Horta Security Guard Izolino da Costa who testified in the court said before the attempted assassination on February 11 last year, President Horta held meetings with former rebel leader Alfredo Reinado Alves but sometimes they were closed to the public.
Horta's residence security commander testifies in court Suara Timor Lorosae 4 August 2009 So far, only four of the ten witnesses in the trial case of the attempted assassination attempt on President Horta have testified in court. Constacio Basmery the group's jurist said some witnesses were not able to come for various reasons including sickness.
Borlaco: “Carrascalao violates tender process” Suara Timor Lorosae 4 August 2009 Director General for State budget Francisco Soares Borlaco said he has formally complained to Finance Minister Emilia Pires about Deputy Prime Minister for Management and Public Administration Mario Viegas Carrascalao whom he alleges has violated tender processes and has also politicised the procurement process.
Deputy Prime Minister Carrascalao should not give up combating corruption Suara Timor Lorosae 4 August 2009 President Jose Ramos Horta has called on Deputy Prime Minister Mario Viegas Carrascalao not to give up the fight against corruption in the country.
PNTL to hand over investigation findings to the Public Prosecution Radio Televisaun Timor Leste 4 August 2009 The Timorese National Police (PNTL) will hand over investigation findings of the murder of an Indonesian named Hamid Malik in Ermera to the Public Prosecutor.
Horta inducts new Deputy Prosecutor General Radio Televisaun Timor Leste 4 August 2009 President Jose Ramos Horta has inducted Vicente Fernandes Brito as new Deputy Prosecutor General to replace Ivo Jorge Valente who resigned recently.
Image added by ETLJB: President Ramos Horta and deceased rebel leader Major Alfredo Reinado who was shot to death at the President's residence on 11 February 2008. Australian ballistics reports showed that Major Alfredo had been shot at point blank range.