15 November 2009
Timor Leste Position Vacant Project Operations Officer UNDP Crisis Prevention and Recovery Unit
Project Operations Officer
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
UNDP Office in Dili, Timor-Leste
Closing date: 25 Nov 2009
Location: Timor-Leste - Dili
Duration: 7 months (with possibility of a 6 month extension)
Expected Start date: 1 December 2009
Type of Contract: SSA
Organizational Unit: UNDP – Crisis Prevention and Recovery Unit
The Security Sector Review Project has expanded significantly from its initial inception growing to a two year capacity building and review project with a budget of around 3.38 million USD. With this expansion of the project, planning, operations (recruitment, procurement, financial management) and donor reporting requirements have increased. These TOR are for recruiting an Operations Officer who has previous experience in post-conflict environments, good knowledge of UNDP procedures, and preferably some exposure to Security Sector Development.
Under the supervision of the SSR Project Manager (PM), the incumbent is responsible for providing high quality operational support, including recruitment, procurement, financial planning and monitoring, as well as administrative backup during peak times such as event organization and reporting periods. The Operations Officer will work on a daily basis with a relatively large number of advisors and consultants, UNDP and UNMIT. This would require the incumbent to develop and maintain viable working relationships, client-oriented and strong problem solving approach. S/he will also ensure continuity of work in the absence of the PM.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Financial resources management
- Procurement and logistical services
- Human resources management
- Support to tasks related to advocacy, programming, monitoring and evaluation, and reporting
Ensures effective and accurate financial resources management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper budget planning and monthly expenditures tracking in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Review of travel authorizations, documentation, and payments.
- Proper and timely preparation of regular accurate financial reports for UNDP, donors and counterparts as per contractual commitments.
Ensures efficient procurement and logistical services focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Project compliance with corporate rules and regulations and management of procurement processes including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management and performance measurement, in liaison with UNDP procurement unit.
- Management of contracts and contractors and legal implications in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Proper management of project assets, facilities and logistical services.
- Planning, organization and oversight of the necessary administrative and other logistical support to consultancy missions, workshops, overseas learning and other project activities.
Ensures effective human resources management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Management of recruitment processes including job descriptions, vacancy announcement, screening of candidates, interview panels, contracts, etc.
- Management of and tracking contracts and transactions related to positions, recruitment, HR data, benefits, earnings/deductions, etc. in close liaison with HR unit.
- Development and management of SSR consultants’ rosters.
- Knowledge building and sharing with regards to management and operations including training of national colleagues.
Ensures efficient support to tasks related to advocacy, programming, monitoring and evaluation, and reporting focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Supports gathering of data/information for project monitoring and evaluation processes for reporting on results and progress towards outcomes.
- Assists in promoting dialogue and good practice among different stakeholders.
- Assists the SSR Project Manager in the preparation of narrative reports to the Government, UNDP HQ, and donors as well as in the planning and revision of project workplans.
- Maintains proper project-filing system.
- Ensures timely follow up of routine actions and deadlines.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency, effectiveness and timely implementation of the Project.
Competencies and Critical Success Factors
1. Corporate Competencies:
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
2. Functional Competencies:
- Solid knowledge of financial and human resources management, contract, asset and procurement, information and communication technology, general administration
- Ability to lead business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Shows mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills
Education: Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, or related field.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in project implementation, preferably in a post-conflict environment.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, and in handling of web based management systems.
- Experience in UNDP Project Management and familiarity with UNDP management procedures.
- Experience in the use of Atlas is a strong advantage.
- Previous exposure to security sector development is an asset.
Language Requirements: Fluency in English. Working knowledge of Portuguese, Tetum or Bahasa Indonesia is an asset.
- Good understanding of Timor-Leste state environment highly desirable, as well as of the organization and functioning of legislative institutions and defense and police institutions
- Experience in staff development preferably in a developing country environment
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and in a highly political environment
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team
- Superior skills in writing and oral presentations and demonstrated ability to prepare clear and rigorous briefs, technical opinions and a variety of specialized documents in an easy-to-read format
- Communication – effective written, oral and presentation skills
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and ability to motivate people
How to apply
Please submit your applications letter together with: Curriculum vitae, financial proposal; P11 forms on line by accessing this link: http://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?job_id=13420
*Financial proposal (doesn’t include the cost of airfare)
The deadline for submitting applications is 25 November 2009
Only short-listed candidates will be notified. Women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Reference Code: RW_7XPBHB-57