16 October 2013
Timor-Leste Legal News 14 October 2013
Summary: Police and Customs officers seize knives in container at Dili Sea Port; Railos denies allegation of concealing weapons; Bodies of students murdered in Indonesia returned home; F-FDTL’s marine force captures illegal Indonesian fishers
Police and Customs officers seize knives in container at Dili Sea Port Source: Televizaun Timor-Leste 14 October 2013 - Dili District Police and Customs officers last Thursday conducted a joint inspection of a container at Dili Sea Port as it was suspected of containing sharp objects which has attracted the authorities' attention.
The container was sent into the country by the Lelabai Company and a company from China. It had been at the port for a long time but had only recently been unloaded as it was suspected of containing knifes and weapons. The Director of the Customs Service said that the inspection was based on the normal procedures and said that knives had been found inside the container.
Railos denies allegation of concealing weapons Timor Post 14 October 2013 - Vicente da Concecao who is also known as Railos has denied allegations made by Member of Parliament Cesar de Jesus that Railos' group was still hiding weapons that went missing in the 2006 crises.
The MP also called on the Government to launch an investigation into the 23 missing weapons as they had not yet been recovered. Mr. Concecao who led the Railos hit squad in 2006 said the MP could come to his house and conduct an inspection and said that he had never hidden any weapons.
He threatened to take MP de Jesus to the court as he had handed back all the weapons which he and his followers carried during the crises. The Railos hit squad was set up by the ex-Interior Minister Rogerio Lobato during the 2006’s crises to boost his political power.
Bodies of students murdered in Indonesia returned home Timor Post 14 October 2013 - Two Timorese students who were killed by their Timorese countrymen in Indonesia have been transported to Dili, Timor-Leste.
The bodies of 24-year old Ismenio “Boy” and 22-year old Ubaldo dos Anjos arrived in Dili last Saturday on board Indonesia’s commercial aircraft Merpati. At Nicolao Lobato Airport, relatives of the deceased men called for the National Police (PNTL) to cooperate with Indonesian police to capture the perpetrators for legal proceedings.
Representatives of the families coordinated with Indonesia’s embassy in Timor-Leste on the process of handing back the two bodies of their loved ones.
F-FDTL’s marine force captures illegal Indonesian fishers Timor Post 14 October 2013 - The Timorese Defence Force (F-FDTL) has captured three illegal fishers from Indonesia and another Timorese on board a boat in the area of the Timor Sea.
The boat which F-FDTL's marine force captured was full of fish and the three fishers are from Lira, Ambon in Indonesia. Indonesian fishermen said they had no intention to illegally enter the Timor Sea but their boat was hired by the Timorese named Agustino. These Indonesian fishermen have no proper travel documents and license which permitted them to fish in the country’s territorial sea. Source: TLMDC and cites media Edited by Warren L. Wright