13 September 2012

East Timor Legal News 12 September 2012

Militia run amok in East Timor in 1999
Remains of a victim of the 1999 violence discovered - The skeletal remains of a person who is believed to have been victim of the violence in 1999 that followed the population consultation that decided that the then-27th province of Indonesia would break away and become an independent nations.

It was reported by Televizaun Timor-Leste today that it is believed that the remains that were found in Tibar in the District of Liquisa to the west of the capital, Dili are those of Mr Tiago Tofione.

Pro-integration Indonesian-sponsored militia are suspected of having murdered Mr Tofi in the aftermath of the 1999 UN-sponsored referendum.

The wife of the deceased, Mrs Joana Gomes, said that on 5 September 1999, pro-Jakarta militia men attacked a group of people taking refuge in the Dili Catholic Diocese building and that they took her husband away along with other independence supporters.

Mrs. Gomes never saw her husband again.

The Government and the National Police's forensic unit will need time to conduct a DNA test and Mr Tofi's remains will then be returned to Oe-Cusse District for burial.
 -----
Government to present additional state budget to Parliament - The Coalition Government led by Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao is going to present an additional state budget for this year to the National Government this week. The amount of the additional state budget for this year totals US$50 million.

The Deputy Parliamentary President Adriano Nacimento declared the Government' plan to request parliamentary approval to the amended state budget in the Parliament on Tuesday (12/9), reported Televizaun Timor-Leste.

"We are hoping that we will receive the entire proposed budget by the Government," he said.
 -----
Indonesia and Timor-Leste to discuss border issue - In the wake of recent clashes between Indonesian and East Timorese residents living near the border between the two countries, the Indonesian Foreign Affairs Minister, Mr Marty Natalegawa is reported by Diario Nacional today that the two countries would continue discussing the issue of settling the entire border delineation next month.

Foreign Minister Natalegawa confirmed that the meeting of the Joint Border Commission would be conducted in the coming month.

"There are three important border survey points that the two countries to need to finalise. Therefore, Timor-Leste and Indonesia need to reach some progresses about the issue," he said.

Related stories
Chief of Staff of Indonesian Land Forces: Timor Leste Did Not Take Area of Land belonging to Indonesia
Indonesian officials discuss border tension with East Timor  
Residents on the Indonesia-East Timor Border agree to Resolve Conflict through Adat
-----
Government officials yet to declare their assets - Diario Nacional reported today that the President of the Court of Appeal, Judge Claudio Ximenes, has stated that since the recent legislative elections, members of the government have yet to file their assets declarations in the Court of Appeal.

"So far only the president of the republic has declared his assets to the Court of Appeal and others have not yet declared their assets," he said.

Mr. Ximenes added that the Government officials would declare their assets shortly to the Court of Appeal.

Related stories
Government officials will not publicly declare their assets
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...