05 January 2010
Timor-Leste Position Vacant: Policy Specialist (Notary)
POLICY SPECIALIST (NOTARY)
Location : Dili, Timor Leste
Application Deadline :15-Jan-10
Additional CategoryDemocratic Governance
Type of Contract :FTA International
Languages Required : Portuguese
Starting Date : (date when the selected canditate is expected to start)01-Feb-2010
Duration of Initial Contract :One Year (extendable)
Expected Duration of Assignment :Four Years
The Justice System Programme (JSP) in Timor-Leste is a comprehensive capacity development initiative for the judiciary, implemented by UNDP under the guidance of the national Council of Coordination (CoC) for the justice sector, consisting of the Chief Justice, Public Defender-General and Minister of Justice. The JSP provides support to the CoC and respective judiciary institutions, including the Courts, Prosecution, and the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) and its subsidiary institutions (Legal Training Center, Prison Service, Public Defender’s Office). The JSP will be implemented between 2009-2013, with financial and in-kind contributions coming from eight donor governments/organizations.
The overall goal of the JSP is to develop the capacity of national justice institutions and actors and promote access to justice.
The JSP is implemented by a Chief Executive Office, headed by the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) who is supported by a Senior Justice Advisor. The Programme operates five Programme Support Units (PSUs):
* Capacity Development
* Decentralization of Justice
* Access to Justice
* Prosecution Support
* Corrections Support
* Under the coordination of the MoJ, the National Director for Registry and Notary Department and the guidance of the Senior Justice Advisor/Programme Manager, Deputy Programme Manager and the Capacity Development Advisor (Justice), the Policy Specialist (Notary) will support the implementation of an efficient and transparent National Notaries Department within the MoJ. This will be achieved through designing and delivering formal training at the Legal Training Centre (LTC), developing capacity of the national government staff through on the job training and mentoring, establishing systems and procedures, and providing legal advice and support.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Policy Specialist (Notary) ensures the design, development and implementation of formal training for notaries at the LTC, focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Design and develop and consolidate curricula for a comprehensive training programme in cooperation with the National Notary Director and Capacity Building Specialist (Justice) and according to the policies of the LTC.
* Design materials and training plans.
* Implement training and lecture notary students.
* Transfer skills and theoretical knowledge to students.
Ensures examinations and evaluations of students are conducted focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Prepare, organize and conduct regular examinations, evaluations and other activities related to the training as required.
* Ensure that graduated students have the required level of competency to assume notary functions, according to the regulations and in compliance with the Law.
Ensures the establishment an Operations Manual for notary systems and procedures, with a focus on achievement of the following results:
* Development of systems and procedures in consultation with national authorities.
* Writing of an Operations Manual.
* Training of staff in procedures and systems.
Ensures coordination and mentoring of the national notaries focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Coordinate and mentor the national notaries during to assist in the introduction of routines, systems and processes learned during the training.
* Contribute to the identification and implementation of capacity-building strategies and advising guidelines.
* Transfer practical skills to the national notaries
* Evaluate their level of competency in practice.
Ensures production of a legal framework and provides legal advice and inputs to the Ministry of Justice, with a focus on achievement of the following results:
* Complete the drafting of the Legal Framework for this sector.
* Provide regulation for modernization of the services and providing better public service.
* Provide advice to senior management on continual improvement of the notary department.
Impact of Results
* The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the Timor-Leste Notary Department in the MoJ relating to the following areas:
* capacity development of notaries
* notary systems and processes
* Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
* Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP.
* Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
* Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
* Solid knowledge of notary institutions and functions in civil law countries.
* Able to develop comprehensive training programmes for notaries.
* Able to deliver formal notary training.
* Able to conduct notary activities, implement new systems and affect national counterpart behavioral/attitudinal change.
* Able to strengthen local organizations and build local capacities for self-management.
* Team player with effective interpersonal skills.
* Facilitation skills.
* Energetic, positive and constructive attitude.
* Very good oral and written communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
* Masters degree in Law or related area, plus a Bachelor degree in Law;
* OR Bachelor degree in Law with specialization in Notary and seven years of relevant experience will also be considered.
* Master degree with 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level as a Notary in a civil legal system; OR Bachelor degree in Law with a specialization in Notary with 7 years of relevant experience.
* Experience in undertaking legal drafting and reviews.
* Experience designing and implementing training programmes for notaries.
* Experience in providing advisory services and mentoring.
* Experience in post conflict situations/developing countries.
* Knowledge of international human rights standards and instruments.
* Proficiency in Portuguese is required.
* Working knowledge of English and Tetum is highly desirable.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
apply via http://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?job_id=14004