JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT Local Gender Specialist Scope of Work Position: Local Gender Specialist Duration: Until Project end Project: Strengthening Property Rights in Timor-Leste, USAID-funded, implemented by ARD, Inc.
Working in close cooperation with the Ministry of Justice and the Direcção Nacional de Terras, Propriedades e Serviços Cadastrais (DNTPSC), this 5-year project is providing support to the Government of Timor-Leste in the area of land and property. The project’s objectives include: 1) Strengthening Policy, Law and Regulations; 2) Developing Land Administration and Information Systems; 3) Resolving Disputes; and 4) Increasing Public Awareness.
The Project comprises 5 tasks in the pursuit of the objectives noted above; 1) Public Information Awareness / Increased Transparency; 2) Land Policy Laws and Implementing Regulations; 3) Support to a National Land Commission (NLC); 4) Land Administration (Cadastral, Registration and Land Titling System); and, 5) Dispute Resolution, Mediation and Processes for Competing Claims to Land.
As the Project continues to expand, there is a strong need continually to monitor and evaluate project activities, processes and policies for effectiveness and improvement.
The Gender Specialist will be based in Dili and report to the Chief of Party and the Deputy Chief of Party.
ACTIVITIES OF THE LOCAL GENDER SPECIALIST
· Work closely with the project’s Partners to implement public information awareness activities for targeted groups of women and men (e.g. developing brochures, conducting informational seminars, participating in other outreach activities highlighting gender issues as necessary);
· Monitor and evaluate gender-disaggregated data to determine progress toward increased awareness of gender issues of both GOTL staff and key beneficiaries, men and women;
· Work with the legal team to ensure that the gender-differentiated concerns of men and women with respect to fair and equitable property rights, access, and control of land are adequately identified and addressed within relevant legal frameworks;
· Provide advice and support to the GOTL in the context of developing institutional capacity to address gender equity in legislative reform;
· Work with key personnel in the development of processes that ensure men’s and women’s land and property rights in the land claims/land administration process are recognized and appropriately acknowledged and protected;
· Work with key personnel to ensure that processes developed in the context of conflict prevention, mediation and reconciliation appropriately target and support disadvantaged groups (in particular, the rights of women);
· Do all other reasonable things required to integrate and mainstream gender within the above Tasks.
The work station for this position is Dili. However, regular travels to the assigned district(s) will be required.
- Post secondary educational qualification;
- Experience working in related Gender activities;
- Strong planning, analysis and report writing skills;
- Fluency in Tetum and good knowledge of Indonesian is required; English fluency will be an asset;
- Computer literacy required;
- Previous experience working for an international organization would be an advantage.
- Good communicator;
- Timely, professional and hard working;
- Team player with good inter-personal skills.
To be considered, candidates must be Timor-Leste nationals with excellent verbal communication skills in Tetum and Indonesian, and be proficient in English.
Please submit your application letter and CV by email. In the subject line, refer to the job title of the position. Application and CV must be sent to MAlves@sprtl.tl/DCabral@sprtl.tl on January, 6 14, 2010 at 17:00. Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Ita Nia Rai is an equal opportunity employer. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.