LEGAL SPECIALIST (PUBLIC DEFENDER LECTURER)
Location : Dili, Timor Leste
Application Deadline :15-Jan-10
Additional CategoryDemocratic Governance
Type of Contract :FTA International
Languages Required : Portuguese
Starting Date : (date when the selected canditate is expected to start)01-Feb-2010
Duration of Initial Contract :One year (extendable)
Expected Duration of Assignment :Four Years
The Justice System Programme (JSP) in Timor-Leste is a comprehensive capacity development initiative for the judiciary, implemented by UNDP under the guidance of the national Council of Coordination (CoC) for the justice sector, consisting of the Chief Justice, Prosecutor General and Minister of Justice. The JSP provides support to the CoC and respective judiciary institutions, including the Courts, Prosecution, and the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) and its subsidiary institutions (Legal Training Center, Prison Service, Public Defender’s Office). The JSP will be implemented between 2009-2013, with financial and in-kind contributions coming from eight donor governments/organizations.
* The overall goal of the JSP is to develop the capacity of national justice institutions and actors and promote access to justice.
The JSP is implemented by a Chief Executive Office, headed by the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) who is supported by a Senior Justice Advisor. The Programme operates five Programme Support Units (PSUs):
* Capacity Development
* Decentralization of Justice
* Access to Justice
* Prosecution Support
* Corrections Support
* Under overall direction of the Executive Board of the Legal Training Centre (LTC), the Legal Specialist (Public Defender Lecturer) will report to the Senior Justice Advisor/Programme Manager and Deputy Programme Manager through the Capacity Building Specialist (Training Coordinator of the LTC). The incumbent will contribute to the design and development of training plans for the specialized courses for Judges, Prosecutors, Public Defenders, legal clerks and others conducted at the LTC. He/she will be responsible for the implementation of the training plans through lecturing, coaching and evaluating the students, applying his/her specific experience as a court actor and pedagogic methods, observing the rules established by the Executive Board. The Legal Specialist (Public Defender Lecturer) will provide advice to the Executive and Academic Boards and to UNDP in the general implementation of the training component of the JSP.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Legal Specialist (Public Defender Lecturer) ensures the design, development and implementation of curricula and summaries, focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Design, develop, and consolidate curricula and summaries for the training programme in cooperation with the National Director and the Capacity Building Specialist and according to the policies set by the Executive and Academic Board.
* Implement comprehensive training programmes, design materials and training plans.
* Adapt training curricula according to the policies set by the Boards.
* Lecture full time on penal, civil and procedural law at a post-graduate, professional level for selected national students.
* Transfer skills and theoretical knowledge to students.
* Support and train court clerks and other court actors.
Ensures examinations and evaluations of students are conducted focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Prepare, organize and conduct regular examinations, evaluations and other activities related to the training as required.
* Ensure that graduated students have the required level of competency to assume judicial functions, according to the regulations set by the Executive Board and in compliance with the Law.
Ensures effective advisory services to the Executive and Academic boards of the LTC, focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Define and establish mechanisms to report on students’ progress and identify risks and constraints.
* Advise the National Director and Capacity Building Specialist as well as the Executive and Academic Boards of LTC on student progress.
* Submit progress reports on students and identify complementary training needs.
Ensures coordination and mentoring of the national Public Defenders during the probationary phase focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Coordinate and mentor the national Public Defenders during the probationary phase to assist in the introduction of routines, systems and processes learned during the training.
* Contribute to the identification and implementation of capacity-building strategies and advising guidelines.
* Transfer practical knowledge and skills to the national trainees.
* Evaluate their level of competency in practice.
Ensures training and mentoring of national Public Defender lecturers focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Work with selected national Public Defender lecturers (whether Public Defenders or national university staff) to develop their capacity in delivering training at the LTC.
* Contribute to the identification and implementation of capacity-building strategies.
* Transfer practical knowledge and skills to the national lecturers.
* Evaluate and assist ongoing development of lecturing skills.
* Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
* Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP.
* Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
* Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
* Strong communication skills - spoken, written and presentational.
* Advisory skills.
* Able to write legal plans, programmes and syllabi.
* Able to write and develop comprehensive training manuals.
* Able to dispense specialized legal training for magistrates and other court actors, to students from a different cultural and academic background who may not be completely fluent in Portuguese.
* Able to lead business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change.
Management and Leadership
* Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
* Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
* Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills.
* Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
* Leads teams effectively and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills.
Required Skills and Experience
* Masters Degree in law or judiciary studies from a civil law country.
* Seven years of experience as a Public Defender in a civil legal system.
* Experience as trainer or law teacher.
* Experience and practical skills of an experienced, senior Public Defender practitioner (as a Public Defender)
* Capable and willing to study and adapt to the national legislation.
* Experience in post conflict situations/developing countries.
* Knowledge of international human rights standards and instruments.
* Proficiency in Portuguese is required.
* Working knowledge of English and Tetum is highly desirable.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
apply via http://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?job_id=14245
Polisi Indonesia telah menangkap delapan orang yang dicurigai melakukan pembunuhan terhadap seorang pelajar Timor Leste, Joao Bosco di Pro...