ETLJB 9 January 2009 - East Timor Law and Justice Bulletin campaigns for an international criminal tribunal to prosecute the perpetrators of crimes against humanity committed in East Timor in 1999. As a part of this campaign, ETLJB publishes extracts from official records of accounts of these atrocities to increase awareness of these heinous crimes in respect of which there has not yet been a proper judicial process. While Marculino Soares faced court for the terrible offences he committed, not a single member of the Indonesian security forces who orchestrated, aided and abetted these international crimes is in prison. In fact, some of them have risen to political prominence in Indonesia.
Click here to sign the petition to the United Nations to establish a tribunal to prosecute 1999 East Timor crimes against humanity.
From the Indictment dated 24 July 2003 before the Dili District Court Special Panel for Serious Crimes in the case of The Deputy General-Prosecutor v. Marculino Soares
Marculino Soares and other Besi Merah Putih (BMP) militia members were armed and participated in the attack on the people in the house of Manuel Carrascalao.
31. During the attack twelve people were killed.
32. Specifically, members of the TNI and militia attacked Manelito Carrascalao, shooting and stabbing him. Manelito Carrascalao died from injuries received during the attack.
33. Members of the TNI and militia attacked Eduardo de Jesus. One of the attackers was Antonio Bescau who shot Eduardo de Jesus. Eduardo de Jesus died from injuries received during the attack.
34. Members of the TNI and militia attacked Alberto dos Santos. Specifically, Jose Mateus and Domingos Bondia, with others, killed Alberto dos Santos. Jose Mateus shot Alberto dos Santos and Domingos Bondia bludgeoned Alberto Dos Santos with a wooden plank. Alberto dos Santos died from injuries received during the attack.
35. Members of the TNI and militia attacked Antonio da Silva Soares. Specifically, Floriano da Silva aka Floriano Dato Meta and Domingos Bondia with others, killed Antonio da Silva Soares. Floriano da Silva aka Floriano Dato Meta stabbed Antonio da Silva Soares and then ordered Armando dos Santos to stab Antonino da Silva, which he did. Domingos Bondia participated in the attack on Antonio da Silva Soares. Antonio da Silva died from injuries received during the
36. Members of the TNI and militia attacked Januario Pereira. Specifically an unidentified militia member shot Januario Pereira while he was in the house. In addition, Jose Mateus and Fernando Sousa each stabbed him during the attack. Januario Pereira died from injuries received during the attack.
37. Members of the TNI and militia attacked Raul dos Santos Cancela. Specifically, Jose Mateus and Fernando Sousa with others, killed Raul dos Santos Cancela. Raul dos Santos Cancela died from injuries received during the attack.
38. Members of the TNI and militia also attacked Joao dos Santos, Crisanto dos Santos, Rafael da Silva, Afonso Riberio, Cesar dos Santos and Augustino Benito X. Lay. These individuals died from injuries received during the attack.
39. Several people were also seriously injured in the attack.
40. Members of the TNI and militia, including Mateus Metan and Armindo Carrion attacked Alfredo Sanches, stabbing and shooting him. Alfredo Sanches was seriously injured in the attack.
41. In addition other members of the TNI and militia attacked Victor dos Santos, Jacinto Cardoso, Niki and Florindo de Jesus with guns, swords and other weapons. Florindo de Jesus saw Domingos Bondia while he was being attacked. Victor dos Santos, Jacinto Cardoso, Niki and Florindo de Jesus were seriously injured in the attack.
42. After approximately one hour, the attack was stopped by members of the BRIMOB and Indonesian Police Forces.
Read the full indictment
Image: Mr Manuel Carrascalao. His son, Manelito, was murdered on 17 April 1999 at the family home during an attack by Indonesian security forces and militia.
For accounts of crimes against humanity and human rights abuses committed in East Timor in 1999, see 1999 East Timor Crimes Against Humanity.