Consultant: Lawyer Lecturer (2 POSTS) Location : Dili, Timor Leste Application Deadline 02-Jul-09 Additional Category Management Type of Contract : SSA Languages Required : English Starting Date : (date when the selected canditate is expected to start) 23-Jul-2009 Duration of Initial Contract : Six Months (with posibility extension) Expected Duration of Assignment :Six Months
The “Strengthening the Justice System in Timor-Leste” Programme was launched in 2003. This project was revised and a new project document was signed in December 2005, focused on institutional capacity development of the justice sector, including the Courts, Prosecution Service, Public Defenders Office, and the Ministry of Justice. Overall project management responsibility was entrusted to a Council of Coordination, consisting of the President of the Superior Council of the Judiciary, Prosecutor-General and the Minister of Justice. The crisis of April-May 2006 and its aftermath drastically altered the domestic environment, unduly burdening this project which, as the most comprehensive vehicle of support to the justice sector, was called upon to respond to emergency needs for crisis response and recovery. In July-August 2007, an independent, external evaluation of the project made recommendations for far-reaching changes in the structure, scope and size of the project. In light of those recommendations, this project has been revised on the advice of a joint UNDP RCB/BCPR mission, with significant changes in scope, structure, and size, including a new focus on the ‘demand’ side of justice. The revised project provides for a strengthened Chief Executive Office, which will focus on strategic policy, planning, M&E, and budget, with five revamped programme units: Capacity Development, Justice Decentralization, Prosecution, Corrections, and Access to Justice. A key component of the Capacity Development unit is the training of national court actors - judges, prosecutors, public defenders, lawyers and support staff - comprising formal classes in the Legal Training Center, on the job training during a probationary phase and mentoring by experienced international advisers after the final graduation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under overall direction of the Executive Board of the Legal Training Centre (LTC), the Lawyer Lecturer will report to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Justice System Programme through the Training Coordinator of the LTC. The incumbent will contribute to the design and development of training plans for the specialized courses for lawyers and other courses conducted at the LTC. He/she will be responsible for the implementation of the training plans through lecturing, coaching and evaluating the students, applying his/her specific experience as a judicial actor and using pedagogic methods. The Lawyer-Lecturer will provide advice to the Training Coordinator and the CEO on the general implementation of the training.
Duties and responsibilities:
* Design; develop training curricula in cooperation with the Training Coordinator and according to the policies set by the Executive and Academic Boards.
* Implement comprehensive training programmes, design materials and training plans.
* Adapt training curricula according to the policies set by the Boards.
* Lecture on a full time basis at the LTC on Penal, Civil and Procedural Law.
* Contribute to the identification and implementation of capacity-building strategies and mentoring guidelines.
* Transfer skills and provide full time, post-graduate, professional training for persons who have legal background and are seeking appointment as a lawyer and other legal/judicial functions.
* Advise the Training Coordinator as well as the Executive and Academic Boards of LTC ensuring submission of progress reports on students and identify complementary training needs.
* Conduct examinations and evaluation of students.
* Ensure that graduated students have the required level of competency to assume judicial functions, according to the regulations set by the Executive Board, and in compliance with the Law.
* Coordinate and mentor the national lawyers during their probationary phase to assist the introduction of routines, systems and processes learned during the training.
* Transfer practical knowledge and skills to the national trainees and evaluate their level of competency in practice.
* Ability to teach Timorese legislation.
* Ability to write legal training plans, programmes and syllabi and write and develop comprehensive training manuals.
* Ability to deliver specialized legal training for lawyers and other court actors.
* Ability to perform in an advisory role.
* Strong communication skills - spoken, written and presentational.
* Full proficiency in Portuguese required. English and Tetum skills are assets.
* Strong cultural sensitivity and ability to work in multi-cultural environments.
Required Skills and Experience
* Masters Degree or Advanced university degree in law or judiciary studies from a civil law country.
* A minimum of 7 years of relevant and effective experience as a senior legal practitioner, in a civil legal system.
* At least 3 years as a law teacher or trainer.
Other Desired Qualifications:
* Work experience in the development sector, preferably in the UN system.
* Work experience in Timor-Leste.