UNMIT Daily Media Review 18 August 2008
Horta: I had signed the rectifying budget before going abroad – Televizaun Timor-Leste
The following text is the statement made by President Horta prior to his departure for China and The Philippines. The Statement shows that President Horta did indeed state that he had promulgated the rectifying budget. “I know that I will be returning today on 15 August 2008. I signed it [the budget] very quickly because I had to leave very urgently and because I thought that the Court of Appeals had to make a decision in a very short time. Also, I did not want this law to be pending on my return. So, at that time I signed a lot of things and there were a lot of meetings in my office so my staff forgot and gave me the documents to be signed and their obligation was to deliver those documents to the National Parliament (NP).
And my idea was to give opportunity to the Court of Appeals to make up its mind. I put forward my concern about the rectifying budget but it was not my prerogative to veto the budget from the government because it was debated in the NP and when the NP approves a budget, I am not entitled to veto it. Regarding the petition from the opposition parties, it was only about the decree law for the economic stabilization fund; it was not about the economic stabilization fund,” he said.
Julio Tomas Pinto: F-FDTL, PNTL and ISF will continue collecting illegal weapons – Televizaun Tiimor-Leste
At a trilateral meeting held yesterday, the State Secretary of Defence Julio Tomas Pinto said that while many weapons had already been handed over, the PNTL, F-FDTL and ISF would continue their cooperation to continue collecting illegal weapons. Mr Pinto also said that an ultimatum would be given for those suspected of keeping illegal weapons as according to intelligence data collected from the PNTL and F-FDTL, there are many people still hiding weapons. As specified, the deadline of the weapons collection campaign ended on 15 August 2008.
Horta asks ISF should stay in TL until December – Timor Post
President José Ramos-Horta has asked the International Stabilisation Force (ISF) to stay in the country until December. The President said that such requests were made based on an internal security evaluation made by the National Parliament and the United Nations. The President also said that Timor-Leste still needs the presence of the ISF while reducing the United Nations Police force.
Oliveira: Gov violates human rights – Timor Post
The Association of Human Rights has said that they believe human rights violations against prisoners to have occurred in Timor-Leste, including against those rebels who are being detained in preventive prison in Becora with no judgment. The Director of Human Rights Association José Luis Oliveira said that the Dili District Court has detained many people in prison but the trial process is taking a very long time. He also said that while many international judges have been contracted by the government to undertake the trial process, they however have not carried out their duties properly as many cases are still pending, including the February 11 cases. He said that he believes this to be a human rights violation by the Government.
Alkatiri: PGR has to ‘out’ February 11 protagonists – Timor Post
Former Prime Minister and Secretary-General of Fretilin Mari Alkatiri is strongly demanding that the Prosecutor-General publicise the results of the investigation into the events of February 11. Mr. Alkatiri said that it is very important for the public to know why Alfredo had to die in President Horta’s residence, and who was responsible for shooting the President. The former Prime Minister said that even though Alfredo has died, his death is still mysterious. Mr. Alkatiri has further questioned why not one person was injured in the Prime Ministers convoy despite many shots been taken at the convoy.
Acting SRSG Finn: UNPol still marks presence in TL – Suara Timor Lorosa’e and Diario Nacional
The Acting Special Representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) for Timor-Leste Finn Reske-Nielsen said that after handing over powers to the PNTL, UNPol will still continue backing the national police force. Mr. Reske-Nielsen said that currently, the UN SRSG had not recommended reducing the numbers of the UN Police. As such, the executive powers of policing in Timor-Leste were still being held by the PNTL.
Post sponsored by East Timor Legal Information Site