ISF ready to help community policing - Baucau acting police commander officially leaves his post - UN Police arrest Baucau district police acting commander - Justice Minister ready to face justice - Australia proposes to take care of East Timor's maritime security - Railos is free, handed two weapons to PNTL in Likisa
ISF ready to help community policing, says ISF commander - Radio Timor-Leste 10 October 2008 - The International Stabilization Force (ISF) Commander, Brigadier Mark Horn, said the ISF was ready to help community policing of the country if they were needed.
The commander made the comments during an interactive program held by Timorese Public Radio (RTL) on Thursday (9/10) night on community policing. Brigadier Horn said the ISF kept staying in the country to help the country's people in restoring peace and stability.
“We spoke to community leaders and police for guaranteeing peace and stability within the country,” He stressed.
Deputy UN Police Commissary, Joao Carlos Aravalo, said in reaching a good achievement, the community policing was important to build confidence in the community.
Meanwhile, Acting Commander of the Timorese National Police (PNTL), Afonso de Jesus said police was born from the community and that would keep building good relations with them to restore peace and stability in the country.
Baucau acting police commander officially leaves his post - Radio Timor-Leste October 2008 - Acting Police Commander, Inspector Aderito da Costa Xinemes Neto, said the arrest by the UN-GNR Police to him was against they the law, as reason of the arrest was unknown. On the bases of the arrest, Neto has officially left his post and has handed over police attributes to the new Acting Police Commander, Sub Inspector João Cancio Pires on Friday (10/10).
Speaking to journalists, Neto said he handed over the attribute of his post based on the suspension request made by the UN Police. “I was arrested yesterday based upon the UN police suspension request saying I was involved in a case,” he added.
UN Police arrest Baucau district police acting commander - Radio Timor-Leste 10 October 2008 - UN-GNR Police have arrested the Acting Commander of Baucau District Police, Aderito da Costa Ximenes Neto. Timorese National Police Operation Commander, Mateus Fernandes said based on the preliminary information he had that the UN police arrested him due to he [Aderito Neto] suspended some of his members who were indiscipline.
Fernandes said the investigation into the case was on going, as the national police was yet to know about the main reason of the arrest. “The reason of the arrest by the UN police was unknown to the national police. Investigation into the case is on going. Only the UN police are doing the investigation without involving PNTL,” Fernandes said. Fernandes added the case had been in the court and had been tried last night in the Bauacau District Court and until now the national police was continuing to contact the UN police about the reason of the arrest.
Meanwhile, State Secretary for security, Francisco Guterres, said the reason of the arrest was also unknown to him and said only the Public Prosecution had the right to publicize it. Guterres added Neto was very cooperative during the court hearing and wanted submitting himself to the legal charge.
Justice Minister Lobato ready to face justice - Televizaun Timor Leste 10 October 2008 - East Timor's Justice Minister Lucia Lobato said she is ready to face justice without using her immunities as a minister if shewas involved in corruption in the rehabilitation of prisons in Bekora and Ermera.
Lobato made the statement Friday (10/10) after giving her statement to office of the Human Rights and Justice Ombudsman in relation to allegation of corruption. She said that during the meeting, she urged the office of Ombudsman to quickly finish the investigation and then make a report to the office of Public Prosecution.
She said that the office of Ombudsman should make announcement to the public if in the end there is no corruption in the case of prison rehabilitation.
The allegation of corruption involving the Minister was made by the opposition party.
Australia proposes to take care of East Timor's maritime security - Televizaun Timor Leste 10 October 2008 - Secretary of State for Defense Julio Tomás Pinto said that Australian Ambassador in Timor-Leste had proposed to take care of Timor-Leste’s maritime security in order to prevent illegal fishing.
Pinto made the statement after together with the Commander of ISF met the Prime Minister who is also Minister of Defense and Security. Pinto said that the two countries had to work out a legal agreement where the ISF can work with the F-FDTL and PNTL to curb recurring illegal fishing in the southern part of Timor-Leste.
He added, the Prime Minister who is Minister of Defense and Security had instead proposed a trilateral agreement involving Australia, Indonesia and Timor-Leste to deal with the issue of illegal fishing in these countries.
Railos is free, handed two weapons to PNTL in Likisa - Televizaun Timor-Leste 10 October 2008 - Likisa PNTL Commander Inspector Afonso dos Santos said Friday (10/10) that the commander of secret armed group Vicente da Conceicao 'Railos' had handed in two HK 33 together with 1,478 bullets to the PNTL in Likisa on October 8.
Dos Santos said on October 6, he got an order from the Minister of Defense and Security Xanana Gusmao to collect the weapons from Railos. He then explained that on the night of October 8, he went with Railos to Metagou area where Railos himself dug out the weapons and then handed in these weapons to him. He had then handed in those weapons and bullets to the National Police in Dili on Friday (10/10).
According to him Railos is free now after having medical treatment in Surabaya, Indonesia.