Featured Post

Domestic Violence and Smuggling Dominate Oekusi District Court July 2019

JUDICIAL SYSTEM MONITORING PROGRAMME PROGRAMA MONITORIZASAUN BA SISTEMA JUDISIÁRIU Case Summary Oekusi District Court July 2019 Total nu...

11 September 2008

Disputed properties generate conflict in East Timor

[Automatic translation. Original Portuguese text follows]

Dili, 8 September (Lusa) - Disputed ownership is the main cause of conflict between displaced persons and their communities of origin, the head of the programme of dialogue from the Government of East Timor said on Monday to the Lusa agency.

'Most of the conflicts that arise with the return of displaced persons to homes they occupied before the crisis of 2006 comes from the dispute over the ownership of homes or land,' explained Carlos Alberto de Araujo, coordinator of the dialogue teams of the Ministry of Solidarity Social (MSS).

The new dialogue programme for displaced persons, communities, authorities and humanitarian agencies was presented today in Dili by the government and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).

In the last three months, 117 cases of conflict were resolved by the MSS teams, stressed Carlos Alberto de Araujo.

The most typical situation of conflict is a family displaced since the crisis of 2006 prevented from returning to their homes.

'If the family occupying the house improved the property, we calculate a value of compensation for such work. If there were no improvements, the usual agreement is that the family pay two hundred U.S. dollars to the family that occupied the house,' said Carlos Alberto de Araujo to Lusa.

Two hundred U.S. dollars is an amount greater than the average monthly salary of a public official or an employee of a private company.

As Maria Domingas Alves stressed in an interview with Lusa, a week ago, "the process of dialogue, inserted in the strategy of the government to solve the problem of the displaced, does not want to touch the ownership of homes."

"This is a different problem, much larger, and that, if included in the current strategy, as a result would delay the return of the displaced at least one more year," stressed the Minister of Social Solidarity.

The guiding principle of emptying the camps (there were 53 in Dili, two years after the crisis) is the de facto return to the situation before the violence of April and May 2006.

Six dialogue teams are in place for several weeks, with 26 employees, working in all subdistricts of Dili except the island of Atauro (Dom Aleixo, Vera Cruz, Christ-King, Metinaro and Nain Feto).

Also started the process of selection of teams for dialogue which will act in some critical areas of Baucau (east) and Ermera (west).

The presentation of the teams of dialogue happened shortly after a ceremony which marked the beginning of the return of the displaced communities of origin of Don Bosco, one of the largest camps in the capital.

The start of the emptying of the Don Bosco camp was marked by protests of a group of young displaced people, which accused Minister Maria Domingas Alves and the MSS of "discrimination".

The MSS dialogue programme is supported by UNDP and financed by AUstralian and New Zealand aid agencies, with a total of $720 thousand.

So far, 6277 families returned to communities or to transitional accommodation under the strategy Hamutuk Hari'i Futuru (Building the Future Together) and 'about 24 camps were closed,' said Maria Domingas Alves.

--

Disputa por propriedades gera conflito no Timor Leste

Dili, 8 set (Lusa) - As disputas de propriedade sao a principal causa de conflito entre os deslocados e as comunidades de origem, afirmou nesta segunda-feira a Agencia Lusa o responsavel do programa de dialogo do Governo do Timor Leste.

'A maior parte dos conflitos que surgem com o regresso de deslocados as casas que ocupavam antes da crise de 2006 tem origem na disputa sobre a propriedade das casas ou terrenos', explicou Carlos Alberto de Araujo, coordenador das equipes de dialogo do Ministerio da Solidariedade Social (MSS).

O novo programa de diálogo entre deslocados, comunidades, autoridades e agencias humanitarias foi hoje apresentado em Dili pelo governo e pelo Programa das Nacoes Unidas para o Desenvolvimento (PNUD).

Nos ultimos tres meses, 117 situacoes de conflito foram resolvidas pelas equipas do MSS, salientou Carlos Alberto de Araujo.

A situacao mais tipica de conflito e uma família deslocada desde a crise de 2006 ser impedida de regressar à sua casa.

“Se a familia que ocupa a casa fez obras ou melhoramentos, procuramos calcular um valor de indenizacao por esse trabalho. Se nao houve obras nenhumas, o acordo mais normal e a família deslocada pagar duzentos dolares a familia que ocupou a casa”, explicou Carlos Alberto de Araujo a Lusa.

Duzentos dolares é uma quantia superior ao ordenado medio mensal de um funcionario publico ou de um empregado numa empresa privada.

Conforme frisou Maria Domingas Alves em entrevista a Lusa, ha uma semana, “o processo de dialogo, inserido na estrategia do governo para resolver o problema dos deslocados, nao pretende tocar na titularidade das casas”.

“Isso e um problema diferente, muito mais vasto, e que, se fosse incluido na estrategia atual, teria como consequencia atrasar o retorno dos deslocados pelo menos mais um ano”, salientou a ministra da Solidariedade Social.

O princípio orientador do esvaziamento dos campos (havia 53 em Dili, dois anos depois da crise) e o regresso a situacao de fato anterior a violencia de abril e maio de 2006.

Seis equipes de dialogo entre deslocados e as comunidades estao no local ha varias semanas, com 26 funcionarios, atuando em todos os subdistritos de Dili exceto a Ilha de Atauro (Dom Aleixo, Vera Cruz, Cristo-Rei, Metinaro e Nain Feto).

Comecou tambem o processo de selecao das equipes de dialogo que atuarao em algumas zonas críticas de Baucau (leste) e Ermera (oeste).

A apresentacao das equipes de dialogo aconteceu logo após uma cerimonia que marcou o inicio do retorno as comunidades de origem dos deslocados de Dom Bosco, um dos maiores campos da capital.

O iniício do esvaziamento do campo Dom Bosco foi marcado pelo protesto de um suposto grupo de jovens deslocados, que interpelaram Maria Domingas Alves e acusaram o MSS de “discriminacao”.

O administrador do campo acusou os jovens de “nem sequer pertencerem ao Dom Bosco”.

O programa de dialogo do MSS eapoiado pelo PNUD e financiado pelas agencias de cooperacao da Austrália e Nova Zelandia, com um total de US$720 mil.

Ate hoje, 6277 famílias regressaram as comunidades ou a alojamentos provisorios no ambito da estrategia Hamutuk Hari'i Futuru (Juntos Construindo o Futuro) e “cerca de 24 campos foram encerrados”, afirmou Maria Domingas Alves.

No comments: