Job - Public Affairs Specialist to National Parliament
PUBLIC AFFAIRS SPECIALIST TO THE NATIONAL PARLIAMENT OF TIMOR-LESTE
Location : Dili, Timor Leste
Application Deadline :29-Dec-08
Additional CategoryDemocratic Governance
Type of Contract :ALD International
Post Level :ALD-3
Languages Required :
Starting Date :
(date when the selected canditate is expected to start)01-Feb-2009
Duration of Initial Contract :1 year extendable
Refer a Friend Apply Now
The Public Affairs Specialist is responsible for developing a coherent and realistic communications strategy for the National Parliament based on the goals of the Parliament Project Document, and for assuring its implementation through skills modeling, organizing training for Secretariat staff, Deputies, and key parliament interlocutors, and professional support to national staff in the execution of communications functions. The Public Affairs Specialist reports to the Chief Technical Adviser and shall work in close co-ordination and collaboration with the Director of the Secretariat, Senior Management Adviser to the Director of the Secretariat and the Parliamentary Human Resources Adviser.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provision of top quality strategic planning, communications and public relations services to the National Parliament
* The Public Affairs Specialist will take the lead in strategic planning, development and implementation of large, complex communications/civic education/outreach
* To provide advice and expertise to the Office of the President and the National Parliament on a range of public affairs issues, methods, and approaches; Anticipate and resolve communications/public relations issues/problems;
* To be responsible for ensuring the implementation of information campaigns to publicize the National Parliament priority issues and/or major events. This includes arranging press conferences/media coverage, dissemination of information materials, analyzing and reporting on impact, and taking appropriate follow-up action.
* To produce or oversee production of diverse range of information communication/civic education products in support of major campaign initiatives, determining appropriate medium and target audience, preparing production plans, writing drafts, obtaining clearances, editing copy, coordinating design approval, finalizing texts and overseeing printing procedures and distribution.
* To conduct needs assessment and make recommendations regarding planning needs; to organize the formative research and pre-testing of culturally relevant communication/civic education materials to ensure effective and efficient program delivery, including facilitating behavior change, where necessary; to evaluate results and impact of communication/civic education/outreach activities and report on developments, trends and attitudes regarding the National Parliament;
* To take the lead in the strategic distribution of all communication/civic education material and work with other State Institutions, UN Agencies and UNMIT to develop ways to implement information/education campaigns country-wide, to incorporate the campaign message and themes into all relevant events and products as well as build information networks to ensure that the National Parliament Civic Education program is cognizant with and complementary to other communication/civic education/outreach activities.
* To develop partnerships with various groups, traditional leaders, teachers, artists and other organized groups in the community, as well as relevant ministries and civil society organizations, to orient them on the National Parliament’s communication/civic education programme goals, to solicit their involvement in the implementation, to elicit support for and maximize impact of promotional objectives;
* To develop and implement a TV/Radio strategy for the National Parliament and supervise all aspects of production of radio/TV programmes including debates, news stories, features and documentaries for local use;
2. Facilitation of national counterparts’ capacity building and knowledge sharing with focus on achieving the following results:
* To oversee the drafting of written communications prepared by the National Parliament staff and GRC media officer;
* To develop communication capacity development programme to build the capacity and skills of the staff and Members of the National Parliament.
* Experience working in developing and post-conflict country environment highly desirable;
* Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills and ability to motivate people;
* Experience in staff development preferably in a developing country environment'
* Good understanding of the organization and functioning of legislative institutions as well as of good governance matters;
* Cross-cultural management experience and sensitivity;
* Ability to work effectively under pressure and in a highly political environment;
* Demonstrated ability to work in a team;
* Demonstrated ability to prepare clear briefs, and a variety of PR materials;
* Successful completion of an intensive Tetum course within the first month of assignment is mandatory to continue holding the position.
Required Skills and Experience
* University Degree in Public Relations, Journalism, Mass Communication or related field. Masters Degree in relevant field would be an advantage;
* At least seven (7) years (in the absence of Masters Degree) or at least five years (with Masters Degree) progressive experience in public sector communications management experience, preferably with a national parliament;
* Successful experience designing and implementing overall organizational communications strategies, preferably in a developing country environment;
* Fluent in English and Portuguese both spoken and written;
* Knowledge of Bahasa Indonesian and/or Tetum is desirable, preparedness to learn Tetum is essential.
Apply here - http://jobs.undp.org/cj_apply.cfm?job_id=7800
Polisi Indonesia telah menangkap delapan orang yang dicurigai melakukan pembunuhan terhadap seorang pelajar Timor Leste, Joao Bosco di Pro...