Location :Dili, Timor - Leste, Timor Leste
Application Deadline :05-May-10
Additional CategoryCrisis Prevention and Recovery
Type of Contract :SSA
Languages Required :
Starting Date :
(date when the selected canditate is expected to start)19-May-2010
Duration of Initial Contract :Six Months
Expected Duration of Assignment :Six Months
A major barrier to long term peace and security in Timor-Leste is the absence of a strong system of democratic civilian oversight of the security sector. Civilian control of the security sector is exercised through informal networks of relations dating back to the resistance movement against Indonesia. Democratic civilian control has not become institutionalised in Timor-Leste for a number of reasons. Partially this is because there is very little civilian capacity to exercise such a role and partly because there is not an environment for security policy to be debated. The UNDP Security Sector Review in Timor-Leste - Capacity Development Facility (SSR-CDF) project directly addresses these needs through building oversight skill sets among both civil servants and civil society; promoting accountability measures and increasing policy research capacity.
For the purpose of supporting the implementation of Timor-Leste Security Sector Review project, the Legal Adviser for the Secretary of State for Security (SoSS) will be hosted at the Ministry of Defence and Security but will work under the general oversight of the UNDP Country Director, and the direct supervision of the SSR Project Manager and the Secretary of State for Security.
The work of the Legal Adviser for the SoSS will address the key areas of competence of the administration and development of the following services: police, immigration, corrections, building security and fire:
1. Drafting legislative proposals in the area of Interior Affaires for the consolidation and development of the police and other internal security services; and
2. Advising on all issues related to making decisions that may have specific legal contours, in the area of competence of the administration of the police and other domestic security services.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Legal Advisor will:
* Draft legislative proposals in the area of internal security for the consolidation and development of the services under the responsibility of the Secretary of State for Security (SoSS);
* Perform, on a daily basis, a legal analysis of documents for the SoSS;
* Advise on all issues related to making decisions that may have specific legal contours, in the area of competence of the administration of the Office of SoSS;
* Monitor daily activities of the Office of the SoSS under the observance of the principle of legality in a civil law system;
* Provide training to national lawyers, preparing them to be able (in the medium term) to undertake the responsibilities of the SoSS’ Legal Office in the field of constitutional law, administrative law, police law, national and international tenders, and human resources;
* Provide advice to the Secretary of State for Security in the fulfilment of the law in the national and international tenderization and recruitment procedures, including the audit of accounts and of the budget of the Secretary of State;
* Draft and analyze legislative proposals, national and international agreements and drafting legal opinions;
* Providing advice in disciplinary and contentious procedures, at the national and international levels;
* Work with other international advisors and ensuring compliance of draft policy with Timor-Leste;
* Carry out other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
* Legislative proposals (drafts) in the area of internal security;
* Legal analyses and legal opinions as requested by the SoSS;
* Delivery of training sessions to national lawyers in the field of constitutional law, administrative law, police law, national and international tenders, and human resources ;
* Provision of day-to-day legal advice to the SoSS.
* Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
* Advocates and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN.
* Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
* Treats all people fairly without favouritism.
Knowledge and Learning Management
* Shares knowledge and experience from within and outside the UN Country Team.
* Encourages UN staff to share knowledge.
* Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
* Ability to lead the design and implementation of UN programme activities, strengthening of strategic partnerships for UNDAF implementation.
* Ability to build and sustain effective partnerships with UN Agencies and main constituents, advocate effectively, communicate sensitively across different constituencies.
Management and Leadership
* Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
* Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills.
* Schedules activities to ensure optimum use of time and resources; monitors performance against development and other objectives and corrects deviations from the course.
* In providing advice to the Secretary of State for Security, has the capacity to gather comprehensive information on complex problems or situations; evaluates information accurately and identifies key issues required to resolve problems.
* Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
* Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors.
* Manages conflict and stress, remaining composed and working as a mediator in crisis or antagonistic situations.
* Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Required Skills and Experience
* Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in law, from a civil (continental) legal system;
* Minimum of 10 years of experience in consulting in the public sector (public Institutions and Government), principally associated to legislative or regulatory drafting and decision making;
* Experience in the field of constitutional law, administrative law, police law, national and international tender, and human resources would be an asset;
* Experience in developing countries, particularly in Timor-Leste and non-governmental organizations would be an asset;
* Experience as university lecturer or equivalent would be an asset;
* Ability to work independently and effectively under pressure;
* Excellent analytical, research, report writing and presentation skills;
* Proficiency in Portuguese and English is required.
Please upload your application letter together with: Curriculum vitae, financial proposal with a workplan and P11 form in one single document through this link.
Individual consultants must submit the financial proposal with a workplan. The financial proposal should include all necessary fees and cost related to the assignment, except the travel cost at the beginning and at the end of the assignment which UNDP will pay. UNDP will not cover any other additional expenses outside of the financial proposal. The financial proposal should be reasonable based on the TOR and proposed workplan.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Polisi Indonesia telah menangkap delapan orang yang dicurigai melakukan pembunuhan terhadap seorang pelajar Timor Leste, Joao Bosco di Pro...