Application Deadline :30-Sep-09
Additional CategoryDemocratic Governance
Type of Contract :SSA
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : (date when the selected canditate is expected to start)14-Oct-2009
Duration of Initial Contract :6 months (with possible extension)
Expected Duration of Assignment :6 months (with possible extension)
The "Strengthening the Justice System in Timor-Leste" Programme was launched in 2003. This project was revised and a new project document was signed in December 2005, focused on institutional capacity development of the justice sector, including the Courts, Prosecution Service, Public Defenders Office, and the Ministry of Justice. Overall project management responsibility was entrusted to a Council of Coordination, consisting of the President of the Superior Council of the Judiciary, Prosecutor-General and the Minister of Justice. The crisis of April-May 2006 and its aftermath drastically altered the domestic environment, unduly burdening this project which, as the most comprehensive vehicle of support to the justice sector, was called upon to respond to emergency needs for crisis response and recovery. In July-August 2007, an independent, external evaluation of the project made recommendations for far-reaching changes in the structure, scope and size of the project.
In light of those recommendations, this project has been revised on the advice of a joint UNDP RCB/BCPR mission, with significant changes in scope, structure, and size, including a new focus on the 'demand' side of justice. The revised project provides for a strengthened Chief Executive Office, which will focus on strategic policy, planning, M&E, and budget, with five revamped programme units: Capacity Development, Justice Decentralization, Prosecution, Corrections, and Access to Justice. A key component of the Capacity Development unit is the training of national court actors - judges, prosecutors, public defenders, lawyers, notaries and support staff - comprising formal classes in the Legal Training Center, on the job training during a probationary phase and mentoring by experienced international advisers after the final graduation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the coordination of the MoJ, the National Director for Registry and Notary Department and the guidance of the Senior Justice Advisor, the Notary Capacity Building Advisor will conduct the following:
* Develop and implement a notary training plan for national notaries and notaries support staff, in collaboration with the Legal Training Centre (LTC);
* Establish operational notary systems and procedures in the MoJ, in accordance with the Operations Manual;
* Provide advice and legal inputs to the MoJ in all matters concerning notary work.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Notary and Capacity Advisor will develop and implement a training plan for national notaries and notaries support staff, with a focus on achievement of the following results:
* Preparation of curriculum, in collaboration with the LTC.
* Preparation of training sessions on each subject.
* Presentation of training sessions.
* Evaluation of students.
* Providing written reports on student progress.
* Work monitoring and supervision.
Establish an Operations Manual for notary systems and procedures, with a focus on achievement of the following results:
* Establish procedures for the notary office.
* Document all procedures in an Operations Manual.
* Train notaries in procedures.
Provide Legal Advice and Inputs ask requested to the Ministry of Justice counterparts and other Justice actors if needed, with a focus on achievement of the following results:
* Finish the Legal Framework in this sector.
* Provide regulation for modernization of the services and better public service.
* Help providing better equipment, working conditions and operational tools for the development of daily work.
* Training Curriculum
* Operations Manual
* Trained Notaries
* Student Reports
* Written legal framework, approved by MoJ
* Written regulations
* Solid knowledge of notary institutions and functions in civil law countries.
* Ability to conduct notary activities, implement new systems and affect national counterpart behavioral/attitudinal change.
* Ability to conduct formal notary training.
* Ability to strengthen local organizations and build local capacities for self-management.
* Experience in working under the Notary Department of the National Department for Registry and Notary of the Ministry of Justice is an asset.
Required Skills and Experience
* Degree in Law with a specialization in Notary.
* 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in the following areas:
* Experience as a Notary in a civil legal system;
* Experience in government planning and strategic development;
* Experience in undertaking legal drafting and reviews;
* Experience in management of projects of civil servants capacity building;
* Good knowledge in the use of computers;
Other desired qualifications:
* Experience in a developing country an asset;
* Experience with UNDP is an asset.
* Experience in working in East Timor is an asset.